I just came out of a 30 minute conference call with Ed Stefanski, where 5-6 bloggers, including my sorry arse, had the opportunity to put him several questions.
Too busy to have the full transcript, check www.sixers.com lately or other (better, LOL) blogs such as Depressed Fan, Recliner GM, Philadunkia, Real GM, The 700 Level or Liberty Ballers (all attending, all their links on the blogroll), anyway here are some of the thoughts he expressed:
– were seriously interested in signing Warrick but Bucks’ offer was better for him cuz it guaranteed him more playing time. They have 13 players under contract now and want to reach 14.
– were also interested in Ramon Sessions but they are so pleased with what they are seeeing in Jrue that decided not to go after him
– (answering my question) confirms my feeling that Sixers are currently the 4th team in town and that Philly is mainly a football city
– doesn’t believe that having our own D-league team would help
– EXPECTATIONS ARE “making the playoffs” and “making some noise” in them (pretty realistic if you ask me)
– extremely happy with Jrue, his natural position is PG but he thinks that Holiday can play WITH Lou Williams
– seeing Holiday in the gym every day they realized he’s very strong, a good finisher, his shot is better than expected, even if he has to work on making the release quicker. He’s a “willing defender” which is highly appreciated
– open competition for 2 guard but thinks that the lineup will be LW, Iguodala, Thad, Brand, Sam
- Thinks team has a lot of versatility and a lot of different lineups can be used
– thinks that Kapono signing is underrated cuz nobody talks about him (LOL)
– Jason Smith had 4 full months after being totally cleared to do anything on the court, has showed very good signs, can shoot and added bulk (250 if I got it well)
– similar for Brand, he’s “on a mission”, did a lot of rehab also in LA, he’s fully healthy and wants to show what player he is
– Willie Green’s situation is “interesting” (LOL), WG is in competition for minutes at the two but he says that in NJ they played with Kittles and Lucious Harris as back up PGs and can’t exclude that the same won’t happen here (= that’s pretty scaring, LOL)
– has no problem with int’l players (my question again), in NJ they drafted Krstic, Planinic, Nachbar, Sixers didn’t sign them so far only cuz of circumstances but they are looking at foreign players
– Flip Murray wasn’t signed cuz he asked for a “sizeable payday”
– Andre Miller wasn’t dealt last year cuz the offers they got weren’t interesting, same for sign & trade options this summer. They are happy with what he did in helping us to the playoffs
– Iguodala will play some point as well
– thinks playoffs experience for young guys will be a huge factor in their growth
I’m sure I missed a lot more so check the sites I told you for full coverage, this is the best I could do.